Friday, December 14, 2012

Sanctification & Justification: Separate but Equal?


Or something like that. There continues to be quite a bit of confusion (always has been - always will, I suppose) on this topic, but this post of Tullian's Here is really good, helping to clarify the relationship between these two doctrines.  Also our friend, Dr. R. Scott Clark is clearing away much of the fog Here and here.

It seems to me that part of the confusion is the notion that when talking about our sanctification we shouldn’t be talking about our justification, otherwise… otherwise what? If we bring justification into the mix that will undermine our sanctification? But wait! Isn’t it fair to say that our justification is the very ground upon which we live and walk the sanctified life? So, as I am sanctified I can never leave my justification (what Christ Jesus secured for me on the cross ) anymore then when I walk to the store I can somehow leave the ground of the sidewalk. Not a perfect analogy, but… Every sanctified movement rests upon the ground of our justification.

The old hymn reads, On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand… I don’t think this speaks of conversion, but living the Christian life. Calvin concisely puts it this way:
“In short, I affirm, that not by our own merit but by faith alone, are both our persons and works justified; and that the justification of works depends on the justification of the person, as the effect on the cause.” (John Calvin, Acts of the Council of Trent with the Antidote)
There's no work of ours sanctified except by the blood of Jesus shed for us (Heb. 10). His finished work then is the basis by which our good works, with their yet remaining imperfections, are purified; causing them (and us) to be acceptable to God by grace through faith in Christ.

Update [12-16-2012]:
Eph. 2:8-10. “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”

Salvation is completely of God, by God’s grace, through faith alone in Christ alone. None of our own doings contribute to this gift from God. Not one of our best works adds to the saving work that Jesus completed on the cross for His people. Yet we work. And in sanctification, we do acts of goodness that are pleasing and acceptable in Christ to God; works He prepared way back in the counsel of His will that we should walk in. So there is effort, there is resisting sin, there is walking in new paths of righteousness, loving God and neighbor. But those efforts are the fruit of His Spirit, the ordained result of an already graciously and completely secured salvation in Christ Jesus for us. Thus we have no boast or glorying except in the Lord.

We are thankful for those who, like Tullian and Scott Clark, unashamedly and clearly proclaim the gospel of God; “for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes…” (Rom. 1:16)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jack,
    I've been looking for this response since Tullian's article. I thought you did a great job. But in the WSC I noticed this:

    Q. 35. What is sanctification?

    A. Sanctification is the work of God’s free grace, whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God, and are enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness.

    Now while I'm not out trying to commit adultery and murder I find myself in a very real way... not loving God with my whole heart... nor my neighbor as myself. I've often made the comment that I hope my "getting better at these" are a requirement to prove I'm "in Christ." I'm Lutheran (converted from Southern Baptist a ghastly transition) and I have found some of this language in Lutheran circles as well - though not to the same extent. I just found the catechetical statement odd considering the point that is trying to be made. Thanks my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often made the comment that I hope my "getting better at these" are a requirement to prove I'm "in Christ."

    This should read ... are not a requirement...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mitchell,
    Thanks for dropping in. I try to catch your comments here and there, finding them very helpful.

    As for:
    Q. 35. What is sanctification?

    A. Sanctification is the work of God’s free grace, whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God, and are enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness.


    The way I read that is - it is God by his own grace who is renewing us, etc. That renewal is by the work of the Holy Spirit applying to us the benefits of Christ's sacrifice through Word and Sacrament, repentance and faith, confession and absolution. His blood is what washes away sin and therefore is what sanctifies us. Isn't it that liturgy of life which weakens sin in us rather than our best efforts? I think so.

    And though from my point of view, when looking at myself, I just see a miserable sinner who sins, yet I do find that I'm, ever so slowly, being won over to truly want sin to be mortified and that image of God to be formed in me.

    How did the brethren in Revelations overcome the enemy? Not by their righteous works, but - "And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death. (Revelation 12:11 ESV)

    Repentance and faith in Christ's saving blood were their weapons of warfare and also their confession and boast (their testimony). They had no regard for their merits or efforts of life, holding that testimony even to death.

    That's our calling card that we are in Christ. If it's some other technique or method (and I've bought into more than a few over the years), then I'm done for...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do apply efforts towards righteous living and against sin. Yet don't we always fall short of the high perfection to which we are called? Yes. Yet God is pleased with us in his Son. He is pleased when his children avail themselves of Christ and all his salvific benefits secured for them.

    ReplyDelete